Ashland University Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing
Summer Residency Program
- The summer residency program is a 2-week intensive learning experience that brings 60-80 online students and faculty together in person at the university’s main campus. In addition to AU instructors and students, the event involves numerous outside speakers and editors.
- My duties over the last two years have included preparing speaker contracts, arranging student housing and student billing, pre-conference communications with attendees, ordering speaker books and other materials needed, making room reservations, arranging airport shuttle schedule, preparing check-in materials, providing onsite assistance and problem solving, supervising three undergraduate interns, manning check-in table, reimbursing travel expenses, and compiling evaluations. I also arranged and managed an open-mic night for first and second year students and made announcements during seminar sessions.
River Teeth: A Journal of Nonfiction Narrative
- The River Teeth Nonfiction Conference brings together 60-80 nonfiction writers to the Ashland University campus for workshops, consultations, and networking. Past speakers have included #1 New York Times bestselling author Cheryl Strayed, Elena Passerello, Dinty W. Moore, and Jerald Walker.
- My duties included advertising, preparing speaker contracts, speaker and participant housing arrangements, catering contracts, arranging a happy hour social event and a book signing event, participant billing, room reservations, supervising two interns, reimbursing travel expenses, preparing check-in materials, providing onsite assistance, compiling evaluations, ordering books and other materials as needed.
Ashland University Math & Computer Science Department
- Prepared for the annual student recognition reception. Compiled information on student achievements and activities, ordered awards, cords, and prizes, printed certificates, arranged photography and catering, sent out invitations to students, family members, key university leaders, and other special guests.
- Prepared for other student events throughout the year, including the fall picnic, student study break (before finals), and a retirement reception.
Trinity Lutheran Church
G.R.I.P. After-School Program
- For eight years, planned and administrated a once-a-week after-school program for youth in grades 1-6. The program drew up to 26 youth, including some older youth assistants who still wished to be involved after they had exceeded the age limit.
- My duties included creating lesson plans and activities, managing a tight budget for the year, soliciting volunteers and donations, promoting the program to the local school, arranging necessary forms, and providing parent and school communications. Weekly programming included many hands-on projects, skits, and fun games to reinforce the lessons and cater to learners of all types.
- Planned several fun events throughout the year such as our annual Harvest Meal which the youth prepared for their families, a trick-or-treat event collecting change for a local charity, an annual nature scavenger hunt/hike, Christmas and Easter programs in collaboration with church youth, and an end-of-year game night with parents.
Trinity Lutheran, Holy Trinity, and Zion Lutheran churches
Weekly and Seasonal Worship Services
- At Trinity Lutheran Church, assisted with weekly worship service planning, especially after our pastor left and was replaced with an interim pastor. Responsibilities included creating printed worship aids and PowerPoint presentations, selecting hymns, preparing seasonal or special event materials, scheduling lectors and worship assistants and distributing materials needed, participating on worship committee with pastor and lay leaders, ordering any supplies needed, and announcing coming events to church members and community.
- At Holy Trinity and Zion Lutheran, also helped prepare worship materials and kept congregation and community informed of coming events, ordered worship materials as needed, created printed materials to help worship flow smoothly, and tracked/announced outside or group use of church facilities.
The Ohio State University Dept. of Horticulture and Crop Science
Ohio Nursery Short Course
- The OSU Nursery Short Course was held annually in the Columbus Convention Center. The event featured a full weekend of educational sessions for landscape, nursery, and garden center owners and employees. The Short Course was held in conjunction with the Ohio Nursery and Landscape Association’s CENTS Trade Show and drew registrants from all over Ohio and the surrounding states.
- I helped put together the program brochure, created room signs listing events in each room, organized speaker information, publicized events, participated in the planning meetings, compiled and distributed speaker evaluations, prepared handouts and speaker AV needs, assisted with room assignments and onsite troubleshooting, and other tasks as needed.
The Ohio State University Dept. of Agricultural Engineering
Conservation Tillage Satellite Program
- Helped with promotion, registration, and communications for a satellite broadcast on conservation tillage. Five different broadcasts were made available focusing on different crops and regions. The broadcasts were shown at regional Extension offices to help promote conservation tillage by providing details, research findings, techniques, and expert opinions. Participants could call in questions from the regional offices.
The Clinch Powell Resource Conservation and Development Council
“Waste Reduction at Work” workshop series
other environmental education events
- Was a member of the planning team for a series of solid waste management workshops for local businesses in our five-county area. Created a resource booklet for the workshops and created registration and promotional materials including publicity and coffee mugs for workshop participants.
- Worked as a team member on several other environmental educational events, including regional Envirothon contest, regional environmental education field day for several area schools, local informational meetings, and more.
The Ohio State University
Agriculture and Natural Resources Banquet Planning Committee
- Volunteer member of the banquet planning committee for two years. Worked with another committee member to prepare the banquet program, and worked with the group on themes, decorations, and other planning details.
The Ohio Florists’ Association
International Floricultural Short Course
- The OFA International Floricultural Short Course was held at the Cincinnati Convention Center in July. The 3-day event included a trade show and hundreds of educational panels for the floriculture, nursery, and garden center industry, as well as contests, and social events.
- My duties included collecting and organizing speaker materials (photos and bios), coordinating room signage, writing press releases to promote the event, preparing check-in materials, mailings, and speaker handouts, coordinating with convention center staff, and providing onsite support including notes and reporting for the member newsletter.